This blog is a personal blog written and edited by two individuals, under pseudonyms Carrie V. (Mx./they/them) and Mary Q. (Ms./she/her) Contrary. This blog is independently hosted, meaning we pay a company for the domain name and a monthly hosting fee. Therefore, we accept various forms of compensation so that we can bring our readers this content for free. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions, affiliate marketing, and other forms of compensation. We also are very picky about who we work with for product reviews. This policy page serves to comply with FTC requirements disclosing how our site makes money and provides information for business entities wishing to partner with us.
Affiliate links provide a commission to us based on product purchases, not clicks. Cookies may be used by affiliates. If you wish to shop with us via our affiliates, please clear your cookies first, especially if you read a lot of sex toy reviews. This is how the sex toy store knows who to pay the commission to. We use affiliate links in reviews so you know where to get a product (or a similar, better product) and we can get credit for referring you. Shopping with our affiliates does not cost you anything extra – the toy store itself pays us on a regular basis per a contract out of their profits.
We are selective with our affiliates. We will not recommend a store or manufacturer that we would not shop from ourselves. However, some stores may carry products we do not recommend, and that is beyond our control.
If you wish to partner with us as affiliates for your online sex toy store or brand we have the following requirements:
- A generally sex positive or feminist view towards sex – that all adults deserve to seek pleasure without judgement and with ongoing consent. FULL STOP.
- Your marketing must not be oppressive in nature. This means you will not rely on heavily misogynist, transphobic, fatphobic, homophobic, racist, ableist, or otherwise oppressive marketing tactics.
- The bulk of your product line must be non-porous and body safe. As little jelly or creative pseudonyms for TPR as possible.
- Strong business ethics and professionalism, including prompt payment of affiliate balances and clear terms.
- You must provide us with images we can use in our banners.
- Affiliate commissions greater than 10%. Current programs are grandfathered in. We will not accept any more at 10% or less.
Please be aware we reserve the right to remove affiliate links and any reviews if we discover the above requirements are not met, and disclaimers posted on any sponsored posts after the fact. You agree to this by accepting us into your affiliate program, just as we agree to your terms therein.
Site sponsors have paid a fee to advertise on our site. Site sponsors are solely responsible for their content. We generally only accept sponsorships from companies that hold our ethical values. For example, sex toy manufacturers that use questionable jelly/porous materials or produce sexist, transphobic, homophobic, fatphobic, ableist, or racist products need not apply for site sponsorship. We also strive to maintain cohesive branding – that’s fancy talk for “your fruit basket ad doesn’t belong on our site.”
Please contact us to inquire about pricing.
Sponsored Posts and Reviews
We do post sponsored content and advertising as blog posts. We also will review products, via sponsored posts, when a retailer does not have an affiliate program. This content will be in our own words. This content is “bumped” to the front of our post scheduling. This content receives additional social media promotion. We are required by law to disclose paid-for posts.
We may decline ads for products that we feel do not mesh with our brand, are unsafe in some way, or are from manufacturers that produce a large quantity of jelly, porous, racist, misogynist, transphobic, or other problematic products or who engage in shady business practices.
If you would like us to review a product and do not have an affiliate program, this is the option that will be offered to you. Please contact us to inquire about pricing.
PAYMENT IS DUE UPFRONT. NO REFUNDS. You’re paying for our time testing and writing, not the review itself, and it is much easier (and free) for you to file a PayPal dispute if we fall off the face of the earth than it is for us to track you down for payment (not free).
Adult Product Review Policy
We review a vast array of adult products. Where we receive items for review, we will always disclose who sent it to us. Our reviews are always in our own words, unless we’ve invited a fellow blogger to write a guest post (notice it says “invited” – do not invite yourself). Our reviews are our own opinions based on our personal tastes and are never guaranteed to be glowing, even if we initiate a request for review, and even if the review is a sponsored post. We may take into consideration other factors and mention information about the retailer or manufacturer that we think readers will want to know.
We do use social media to promote our own content, as well as affiliate and sponsored sales and promotions.
If you are interested in working with us on reviews, you should know the following:
- Do not contact us to buy items from you. Plan to send it to us for free or not at all (for books, e-book or pdf is perfectly fine).
- For website subscriptions, we ask for at least one full month to review your content.
- If you are an online shop, you must have an affiliate program or sponsor a post.
- If you are a manufacturer, the product must be carried by one of our affiliate stores if you do not carry it online. If you only sell at a store that has a less than 10% affiliate payout or no affiliate program at all, you must sponsor a post.
- We do not review Pipedream Products items, for ethics reasons.
- We do not review non-porous insertable products, for our own health and safety.
- We do not review hyper-osmotic lubes or those that contain glycerin, polyquaterniums, or parabens.
- Once you send a product it is ours, and our review is honest, even if it is sponsored. You may not request payment, refund, or product return once it leaves your warehouse.
- If you have a review deadline, we’re happy to work with you, but please give us at least 2 weeks.
- You may not request to see the post before it goes live, and you may not request edits to the general content of the post (although catching a typo is fine) – that’s called astroturfing, and it is illegal per the Federal Trade Commission.
- We believe in professional relationships and expect professional behavior from company contacts. This includes company owners. If you behave childishly, we reserve the right to publicize emails and any other communications.
- Companies that work with us must agree to preserve our anonymity. Our business partners agree to be responsible and ethical with this information, and agree to be responsible for the consequences of knowingly releasing this information.
- We may decline reviews for products that we feel unqualified to comment on, such as cam sites, medical play items, electrostim products, etc.
We may decline reviews for businesses that we feel do not mesh with our brand, or products from manufacturers that produce a large quantity of jelly, porous, racist, misogynist, transphobic, or other problematic products or who engage in shady business practices. We reserve the right to remove or disclaim reviews if we discover something nefarious after the fact.
By sending us products to review, you agree to this policy.
Have questions? Visit our Contact Us page and ask!